Saturday, April 23, 2011

Heavy Heart.


$5 footlong anyone?

This week while out in Tucson, AZ I began to have a heavy heart. I began to hurt for the people at each stoplight-lost, hungry, hopeless, embarrassed, & possibly an addict. Of course, there have been times in the past when I would hand over a few dollars here & there but did I really give until it hurt? Did we really make a sacrifice to help someone else or did I just give up getting a drink at the QT down the road? This week was different for me. God began to tug at Jeremy & I's heart. 
Everyday there was someone new I saw asking for food or help.... I would see them & ask God if I should really contribute to their "addictions" or if they really need it... Everytime the verse came back to me about whatever we do for the least of these we do for Him.  (Matthew 25:40) Then I would get this heavy feeling over me & my cheeks would get red & maybe even a little anxious while I reached into my wallet & handed over my few dollars saying "God Bless" ... then we went on about our day. Don't get me wrong that is being obedient but something more was on my heart, especially one particular instance.

We were headed to take Jeremy to the field for the day & at an unfamiliar stoplight for us we saw a woman asking for $$ to get some food. She had ratted hair, dirty clothes, eyes were sunk in, & she had scabs on her face like she had fallen... My heart sank & not only did I get that anxious feeling but I got tears... real tears. Then God told me to go get this woman a subway or something to eat & take it back to her... I hate telling you this but I didn't listen. I let satan distract me & convince me I am too naive about people & it might be "dangerous" for us to go back without Jeremy. Really? Dangerous? I have tears just thinking about how selfish I acted... 

After coming home today I cannot get these people off my mind... It was like every afternoon I had a reason to look for them & give them money. (just a few dollars like I said above) I want to help these people but as I began thinking about it today maybe $$ isn't the only answer. These people need Gods love. So here is my solution for our family.

When we go back out to Tucson in May Jeremy & I are going to take a morning or two & go load the truck with $5 footlong sub sandwiches, pray, & deliver them to whoever we come into contact with on the streets. I am so excited yet a little nervous too! I know that some of the places there are not the safest but I also know this is what God has told us to do. It might not seem like a lot to us but that person could be praying & asking God to show himself to them. I pray we can make a difference in just one persons life.

I want to ask you if you read this to please be praying for the people we come into contact with there in Tucson, AZ. Pray opportunity arrises with them to share Jesus & love them. Our heart is heavy & anxious to serve. 

What can we all do for the least of these?

 40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’
Matthew 25:40

No comments:

Post a Comment